Free Download Books The Mysteries of Udolpho
Identify Books In Pursuance Of The Mysteries of Udolpho
| Original Title: | The Mysteries of Udolpho |
| ISBN: | 0140437592 (ISBN13: 9780140437591) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Characters: | Valancourt, Madame Montoni, Emily St. Aubert, Monsieur St. Aubert, Signor Montoni, Orsino |
| Setting: | Italy,1584 Pyrenees France |
Ann Radcliffe
Paperback | Pages: 654 pages Rating: 3.38 | 12589 Users | 989 Reviews
Representaion To Books The Mysteries of Udolpho
With The Mysteries of Udolpho, Ann Radcliffe raised the Gothic romance to a new level and inspired a long line of imitators. Portraying her heroine's inner life, creating a thick atmosphere of fear, and providing a gripping plot that continues to thrill readers today, The Mysteries of Udolpho is the story of orphan Emily St. Aubert, who finds herself separated from the man she loves and confined within the medieval castle of her aunt's new husband, Montoni. Inside the castle, she must cope with an unwanted suitor, Montoni's threats, and the wild imaginings and terrors that threaten to overwhelm her. This new edition includes an introduction that discusses the publication and early reception of the novel, the genre of Gothic romance, and Radcliffe's use of history, exotic settings, the supernatural, and poetry.
Point Out Of Books The Mysteries of Udolpho
| Title | : | The Mysteries of Udolpho |
| Author | : | Ann Radcliffe |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Anniversary Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 654 pages |
| Published | : | April 26th 2001 by Penguin Classics (first published 1794) |
| Categories | : | Classics. Gothic. Fiction. Horror. Mystery. Romance |
Rating Out Of Books The Mysteries of Udolpho
Ratings: 3.38 From 12589 Users | 989 ReviewsComment On Out Of Books The Mysteries of Udolpho
"I believe that memory is responsible for nearly all these three-volume novels" -Oscar Wilde One thing I will say for this book is that it made Oscar Wilde's plays even more entertaining for me. I now know what he was talking about when he trashes books of "unusually revolting sentimentality." And what he says is very true. I am absolutely certain that Ann Radcliffe wrote this book as a sort of extended journal for her travels. At least half of it is devoted to scenery descriptions. Now this isI chose to read this book the same way many other people did. I was reading the Jane Austen novel Northanger Abbey as part of a group read, and the topic of 'The Horrid Novels' came up. The Mysteries Of Udolpho was the only one I had access to, so it was the one I read.This is a long book, old-fashioned in style (naturally, being published in 1794) but I enjoyed it very much, even though I had my doubts going in because I lost my taste for the Gothic genre years ago. I expected to give up on it,
3.5 stars for this classic gothic novel. This was an engaging read and is considered to be one of the first gothic novels. I loved the language, I loved the characters (except for the evil M. Montoni and Madame Charone) , but I did dislike the extensive descriptions of scenery that seemed to go on forever. I'm glad that I read it, but I doubt I will ever tackle it again for a re-read.

This is a crazy book that has greatly enhanced my appreciation of Northanger Abbey. I had the same feeling I did reading Don Quixote (which I was reminded of many times) -- that the novel was still a very young, sort of crude product, and people were just flailing around trying to figure out how to write one. Of course, people still flail around now -- but we have more examples, more rules to follow, and break.Radcliffe does a great job of bringing all the plot threads together, solving the
3/5starsToo fucking long. Other than that it was fine but wow this could have been 200 pagesTake a shot every time Emily cries and youll be dead by page 15.
3.5 rounded up. Ye Gads! I started this book back in July, had to table it, and started over the first week in December. Still took me a month to finish. I have to say, what Ms. Radcliffe could have used the most in her writing career was the services of a good editor. I can appreciate long descriptive passages, but how many in depth descriptions of someone collapsing into tears does one need. By halfway through the book, she could have just said "Emily wept" and I would have known she was
This mammoth, prolix book--the first wildly popular gothic novel--is indifferently written, poorly planned,and inconsistent in purpose and tone. Radcliffe's style is irritating, filled with continual redundancies, superfluous commas and dialogue that is often stilted and improbable. The plot doesn't even get in gear until a third of the way through(two hundred pages!), and it loses its focus and dissipates its power in the last one hundred and fifty pages or so when Radcliffe introduces some
.png)


0 Comments:
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.